Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Next Episode


I am mobile again! Yay! After a lot of pondering and picking at people's brains, I finally decided on and bought the Nokia N81. It's only been 4 days, but I must say that I am totally loving it!

The one week that I was without a phone of my own had its highs and lows. I had borrowed a phone that decided to die every two and a half minutes (i am NOT exaggerating!). But most of the time I was happy to let it die and be unreachable. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I found it quite liberating.

Now, I have my own phone and I am enjoying every minute of it! The N81 is pretty cool as phones go...

What are some things I love about this phone you ask? Well, let me tell you...

1. Wi-fi - It is great to be able to browse and download stuff directly onto my phone at broadband speed. Since my home and my office are wi-fi enabled, this feature is a real bonus!

2. Music
- It is a music phone and lives up to expectations. While the speakers on the phone are nothing to write home about, they are above average. However, the quality while listening on headphone is comparable to any high-end mp3 player. I also like that he headphone jack is the standard 3.5mm jack, allowing me to use any headphone I want to.

3. Navi-wheel - I love the navi-wheel. Especially while browsing through pictures and music. It is very convenient, very smooth and very cool looking.

4. n-gage - The N81 is also an excellent gaming device with dedicated gaming keys. Very convenient and fun! I've downloaded a few trial versions and am having a blast!

5. Expandable memory - Though initially I wanted the N81 8GB phone, I couldn't find it and so had to settle for the N81 with a 2GB SD card. But unlike the N81 8GB, this one allows for memory expansion. I can buy a SD card of any capacity and use it with this phone. So that worked out pretty good, huh? For now, I am happy with the 2GB memory. It allows me to store more than a 1000 songs (or maybe more?) and I really don't need more than that.

Apart from all these things, another small but cool feature is the lock switch, which allows me to lock/unlock the phone without having to slide it open. Handy!

Now, what do I not like about it? Well, so far -

a) Camera - Not very great quality. Decent. Not bad. But not great. But then again, it is a phone and I do have a digital camera. So I will survive.

Can't really think of anything else I don't like. Honest.

I've been reading a lot of reviews for the last week and one complaint I have noticed is about the way it looks! I must say I disagree. I personally think it is stylish looking and quite well designed but I guess it is a question of personal taste. While I must admit that I was disappointed that the only color options available were black-blue and black-grey, the rest of the design is pretty cool. I really wish they had a black-red combo. That would have been the ultimate thing for me.

I have the black-blue combo but I have downloaded some awesome themes for the phone and have made myself feel better by installing a bright red wallpaper and theme! It really looks awesome! :)

I am going to be paying for this phone for a while, but I am not disappointed at all. And I am so glad that I decided to stay faithful to Nokia!

3 comments:

That Squirrel said...

Right. Your phone is very nice - may it have a nice long life. Samsung rules though.

Bungz said...

You should download and install fring... If i get a wi-fi phone, i plan to do that... That will also give me access to skype whenever i am in a wi-fi zone...

Bungz said...

Aw shucks! Yeah. We waited so long. I am sure we can wait a year longer... But we'll have to renew our subscription...